It is important to follow the directions below during the first two weeks after the operation to insure adequate healing.
- Take your antibiotics and any other prescribed medications as directed and complete the course. Failure to do so could lead to an infection or poor healing.
- Use ice packs over the surgical area for 20 minutes at a time during the first two days following the operation. You may also fill your mouth with ice water until it warms up. These two procedures will greatly reduce any swelling that you might have.
- Maintain a liquid diet for the first five days after the operation. A soft diet can be maintained for the remainder of the first two weeks. Alcohol and smoking retard healing significantly…Avoid alcohol and smoking!
- Use an elevated headrest or an extra pillow for the first two nights after the operation.
- If bleeding begins in the surgical area, apply gentle pressure by biting on a roll of gauze for one hour. If the bleeding does not stop, please call the office immediately (561) 272-6664 where there will be a contact number available on our recording to reach one of the Drs. after hours.
- You may rinse your mouth out gently after the first post-operative day utilizing warm salt water. Do not use any mouthwash other than what has been prescribed for this surgery.
- Do not do anything to irritate the surgical area or disturb the stitches.
- If you have any problems or any questions, please contact Dr. Ritota immediately! (561) 272-6664